Update Link Settings Action
Update Link Settings action by CloudFiles updates the settings of the CloudFiles links created in your records. The settings include disabling downloads, expiry settings, enforcing email verification etc... This action can be used to apply security policies on your created links. E.g. if none of the shared collateral is to be downloaded, you can disable downloads on any shared collateral whose link is created through HubSpot.
Note that for this action to work, you must already have a link created for a file / folder / dataroom on the trigegring record. This can either be done using the Share Attachment action (for automation use-cases) or by triggering a workflow when ever someone manually attaches a file or creates a link on the record (manual use-case).
The Update link settings takes in a number of parameters. It also returns a few values that can be used in later actions -
- Links to Update:- This is selector to specify whether only the latest created link on the record must be updated or all links shared from the record must be updated.
- Disable Downloads:- Yes / No selector for disabling download on the file
- Expiry Settings:- Various parameters to specify the expiry of the link based on date or number of views.
- Email Collection & Authentication:-Specify whether the viewer must enter their email and authenticate with it. Add allow / block list.
- Return Values:- Various values returned by this action after execution.
We discuss each of the parameters in this action in detail below.
1 - Links to update
This parameter is used to choose which links are to be updated. As mentioned above, sharing links must have been created before using this action. This can either be done automatically using Share Attachment action or manually by attaching a file which triggers a workflow. The parameter helps you choose whether to update all links or only the latest link created on this record.
1. Latest : Choosing "Latest" will update only the latest link created on this record. The rest of the links (if any) would stay the same.
2. All : Choosing "All", will update all the links on the record. It won't make a difference if there is just one link on the record.
2 - Disable Downloads
If you disable download on your link, the viewer won't be able to download / print the file. Thus, this lets you prevent unauthorized distribution of the file and collect reliable analytics about it. You can choose either a yes or a no on this selector.
1. Yes : Choosing "Yes" means the download would be disabled and viewers won't be able to download / print the file.
2. No : Choosing "No" means download will stay enabled, i.e. users will see a download button through which they can download the file.
3 - Expires On
This sets the date and time till when the file can be viewed. Once the time has expired, the viewers would see a 'file not available' message on the shared link. A common use-case is to set the expiry of links to X months after today, thus only sharing it for a pre-defined interval of time.
4 - Expires after
This sets the maximum number of views of your file. After that many views, the link will expire and the viewers would see a 'file not available' message on the shared link. A common use-case is to share a one-time view coupon code or promotion.
5 - Require Email for accessing the link
This is a Yes / No selector to specify whether you want the viewer to enter their email while accessing the link. If you choose to collect the email, your GDPR and consent settings (if set in the CloudFiles Admin dashboard) will automatically be applied.
Note that collecting email does not necessarily mean collecting valid emails. For that, check the sections below.
1. Yes : This enables a email wall, and requires users to enter an email to access the file. Users can login through Google / Microsoft as well. Users can also enter the email in a text box and view the document.
2. No : This removes the email wall, and users can access the file without entering email.
6 - Enforce email verification
Enforcing email verification implies that the user will either need to login through google, outlook or use an email OTP to access the link. This ensures that only authenticated emails are entered into the email box. This parameter is a Yes/No selector for setting the email authentication.
1. Yes : This will force users to enter OTP from their inbox to ensure genuine email ids are entered or login through google / outlook.
2. No : This does not require users to enter OTP or verify the email in any way. They can still login through google / outlook or simply enter an email to view the document.
7 - Allowed Emails
Using this parameter, you can specify a list of emails which would be added into the allow list of the link. If the user enters one of these emails, only then they would be able to view the document. Using this feature along with email authentication can create a login like experience for your clients to view the files.
This parameter is a selector that can take the following 3 values -
1. All Contact Emails - If triggering on a deal or company record, all the associated contacts of that record would be added as emails to the list.
2. Enter Manually - You can manually enter the emails using this selection.
3. Association Label - You can select a subset of the associated contacts by filtering them using a HubSpot association label
8 - Return Values
The Update Link Settings action returns the following values. These can be used in later actions to chain together actions and create complex automations.
1. Action Status - This is a success or failure message based on whether the action executed correctly.
Need help? Book time with our team of experts.